1) Opening Poem
2) MWDS: Due next Friday
3) Speeches Brainstorm
4) Review Syntax
5) Seminar on 1984 and EoP
1) Complete your Dialectical Journal and your poetry Response for Friday
2) Complete a draft of your 1984 essay for Monday
3) Work on your speeches and MWDS for next Friday.
1) Opening poem
2) Suicide Prevention Presentation
3) Review Syntax Exercise 1
4) Introduce 1984 Speeches
1) Choose a literary criticism from the google book found at the following link:
Then, be prepared to discuss it during seminar tomorrow. You will also use this article for your dialectical journal entry this week.
In tomorrow's seminar, everyone will participate and we will discuss the connection between Enemy of the People and 1984, as well as the criticisms that you are reading online.
1) Finish Benchmark 2
1) Finish Enemy of the People
An online copy of the text can be found here
2) Complete the Syntax Exercises on page 194-197 of the Essential Literary Terms book.
Also, if you have purchased a copy of Frankenstein, please bring it with you on Thursday--that is the day that I will be handing them out.
1) Benchmark 2: The Multiple choice test
Because of the disruption, and the huge absenteeism, of Friday, I decided only to give the multiple choice section of the test on Friday. The students who were here only took that portion, and they will not be able to go back on Tuesday to change their answers.
On Monday, the students will all be given the entire period to take the test. The students who were here on Friday will only write the essay, whereas the students who were not here on Friday will need to complete the entire exam. However, in an effort to be fair, if a student who was not here on Friday does not finish in the time given on Tuesday, they may come to tutorials on Thursday in order to finish the exam.
Also, since this happened right at the end of the grading period, the exam scores will be factored into the 2nd quarter grading period.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
1) Opening Poem
2) Final 1984 Seminar
3) 3rd: Read EoP, 4th: read a nonfiction article
1) Prepare for your benchmark!
1) opening poem
2) Review for benchmark 2
3) 4th block read Enemy of the people. 3rd block continued the seminar from yesterday
1) Finish 1984!
Your benchmark on Friday will draw from literary devices listed on that sheet that you received when we reviewed the last benchmark. Make sure you study those!
Here are a few videos that should help you review some of the less common terms:
Metonomy vs. Synecdoche
Literary Devices using Disney Songs
1) Opening poem
2) Review for benchmark 2--practice questions
3) 1984 Seminar 1
I also gave out the assignment for 1984, with the option of reading Brave New World as well. Please see the attached document and let me know if you have any questions.
1) Think about the quote "The command of the old despotisms was 'Thou salt not.' The command of the totalitarians was 'Thou shalt.' Our command is 'thou art.'
2) Study your lit devices for the benchmark.
3) Read for your seminar on Friday
4) Don't forget about your dialectical journals! I'm currently working through the ones from last week, but that doesn't mean you can't write the ones for this week.
1) Opening poem and turn in your papers
* Note: the paper was a major grade, and thus due today, whether you were absent or not. If you bring your paper to me tomorrow, it will be counted as a day late. If you send it to me tonight, I will count it as being on time.
2) Word roots and affixes (see previous post)
3) Read EoP
1) Read 1984 through page 260, prepare for the seminar.
2) Study for your benchmark on Friday